Thursday, January 8, 2009

Movin' On Up










There are times when I look at my children and wonder "Who are you?" and "Where did you come from?". Not only for obvious reasons, like the fact the Sarah is so cooky and she never stops talking (I do not know where she gets that from!) and Aiden is far too busy a child to be mine, but because it seems like just yesterday they were teeny tiny babies and I cannot believe how fast the time is passing me by.
Over Sarah's Christmas break, she and I, along with a dear friend and former riding student, Sarah #1, went ice skating. It has been two winters since Sarah Small and I went up to the rink, seeing as I was extremely pregnant last winter. The last time we were there, she was small and shaky and on double bladed skates. I don't know if it was the repetitive playing of the Micky's Christmas movie (in which, Minny Mouse and Daisy Duck compete in an ice skate-off) during which Sarah would pretend skate all over the kitchen floor, declaring to me how skating is easy and that she was a professional now, she was sure; or if it was just the coincidence that she is now older and more spacially aware, but she was magnificent on the ice! Well, as magnificent as a five year old can be...
She moved up to single blade skates and was even able to execute some pretty good turns - without falling! Ok - there was still PLENTY of falling!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow, that's impressive! What are single blade skates? Aren't all skates single bladed? Is this some Northern secret I don't know about?