Tuesday, September 22, 2009

If there is one thing I am famous for in the colder months it would have to be my obsession with baking. As soon as the temperatures dip below 60 degrees the oven goes on until they hit 80 again. This time of year is one of my favorite times to bake. We have several apple trees on our farm and I just love the smell of freshly baked apples in the house.
So, as I embark on yet another baking season, I am sharing with you one of my favorite Apple Crisp recipes. It all starts with these amazing apples we have out back. Now, if you have a good husband, he will bring the newly picked apples in the garage for you when you ask him to. Ya know, before it rains on them and the ants feast on their tender flesh…I hate ants. I hate bugs. All bugs. In fact, anything with more than four legs…Even some things with only two…Birds, for instance…Did I mention someone put a bird on me this weekend? At the Steam show, a, what appeared to be harmless old lady came up to us with a parrot. Of course the kids loved the bird and wanted to see it. Being within 10 feet of it was fine with me, but apparently I looked as though I needed to touch the bird. I humored the woman and, albeit begrudgingly, touched the bird. But NOOOO that was not good enough. It seemed the bird liked me and she thought she needed to put it on my arm! I tried to get away, but I was holding baby…And the woman had lightening fast reflexes! She had that bird on my arm in the blink of an eye! I think she has tried to convert bird haters before…ARHG! A bird. On my arm. The kids thought it was cool though….
ANYWAY – apple crisp.
Here we go…
So, as I was saying. You will need 10 cups of apples, peeled and sliced. If you want to know how many apples 10 cups is, you will have to figure that out on your own, just as I had to the first time I made this recipe…OK OK -around 14 or so, depending on the size.


Now I always sliced the apples and then add them to a big bowl of cold water with about a teaspoon of sat added so they do not get all brown and mushy before I finish cutting, because I know I will be interrupted with the needs of small children about a hundred times before I finish.





Layer your apples in a 9 by 13 pan. I always spray my pan, even though it is probably not necessary – I just really dislike scrubbing…





Dang ants.


In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup of white sugar, 1T of all purpose flour and 1t of ground cinnamon and sprinkle over apples. Pour ½ cup of water evenly over apples and sugar mixture.






I reuse the same bowl – again, I dislike washing too many dishes – combine 1cup Quick cooking oats, 1 cup flour, 1 cup brown sugar (still with me? I know it is hard, but try to focus…), ¼ t baking sodee, ¼ t baking powder and ½ cup melted butter.




Crumble this mixture over top and bake for 45 minutes at 350. Meanwhile – hopefully your toddler is still asleep and you can look up other people’s blog posts for supper ideas. I found mine of Kraft Foods website for tonight –Bruschetta Chicken Bake – yum.

















Now, when the crisp is done –I highly recommend hiding it immediately so you can enjoy the whole thing yourself. If your family asks about the smell, tell them you lit a candle.

No comments: