Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Dinner that Wasn't

With having Thanksgiving at someone Else's house, you miss out on one very important thing...The leftovers. So I had it in my head that I needed to make my own Turkey Dinner the evening before last. I gathered the bird...Uhm...Ok, I may have cheated a little on the bird. I found this wonderful JennyO bird in a bag thingy that promised I did not have to defrost. I am all for no defrosting. After all, I never really know when I can cook the bird after it has been frozen...For me, defrosting is a mysterious and unreliable thing. I can take the turkey out of the freezer, sure, but how many days it will take from that point is lost on me..Anyway! So I have the bird in a bag here.Doesn't that lovely woman on the front of the package make this look glamorous? I am sure that is what I will look like when I finish cooking this foul.
Some left over cranberries, scalloped corn (what a great invention that is!) and sweet potatoes, all of which I froze the day after Thanksgiving. Yes, I can defrost simple things like these.

Then I whipped up some taters and gravy. This is what my gravy started out like - look at that! Then I did some culinary magic and Viola! Just look at that smooth texture, that wonderfully thick, mouth watering texture. Ok - So I lied - it came in a bag too.
Here is that bird in the oven - ain't she a beauty. I can still smell that wonderful aroma wafting out of the kitchen... They come in this nifty cooking bag, as long as you can push a button to turn on the oven, and you are trusted with scissors to put some vents in the top, you can cook a turkey! I didn't tell the Farmer I used scissors, it will be our secret...

Then I got a little too busy nursing an infant and let the turkey cook a teensy bit too long. Oh well, almost everyone can do this.
I have to say though, this was a very good turkey. So tender it fell off the bone, and very well seasoned. Then there was the discussion I had with the wine bottle... It went something like this:

Me: "Oh, you're one of those bottles."
Wine: "He he, you will never open me!"
Me: "Do I even own a cork screw anymore? I knew I should have stuck to the cheap stuff."
Wine: "Here I am, cold and tasty and you will never open me!"
Me: "Oh look, a cork screw! Now, how does this work again?"
Wine: "You will never figure it out! Look, you couldn't even cook a turkey in a bag!"
Me: "hummmm, I think it goes like this.... Ah-ha!"
Wine: "Oh NO! Wait a minute - she still doesn't have it right yet. He he he"Wine: "Uh-oh"
Me: "Ta-Da! I didn't even drop any cork pieces in the bottle this time!"Wine: "Chucks."

Ok- so once the wine was opened, the dinner table set, fixin's fixed, it was time to eat...There was only one thing missing - the Farmer. Insert telephone ring here...

Farmer: "I'll be late."
Me: "Late? Really? I made a turkey! And I have wine - real wine, not that $3 stuff I usually buy. I used a cork screw."
Farmer: "Bla bla bla..Chisel plow...Bla bla...Have to help...Bla bla bla bla...Late."
Me: "Fine." - click.

But have no fear, Sarah, Aiden and I enjoyed a very nice turkey dinner by candlelight. And now I need a new bottle of wine....Not really, but I would have liked to have polished it off! Darn nursing child.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Ooo, haa haa, you are too funny!

Anonymous said...

OMG, you have me rolling with laughter here about your wine. And this is what i hear from Dean many nights, "Bla bla bla..Chisel plow...Bla bla...Have to help...Bla bla bla bla...Late."

Jessica said...

now that is hilarious!!! love the wine conversation...